The state of New York (The Empire State) is located in the north eastern of the United States, the largest city of the state is New York, but the state capital is Albany, one of the oldest cities in the United States, founded by the Dutch in 1614.
The state of New York overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and is bordered to the north by Canada to the north-east by Vermont, to the east by Massachusetts, to the south-east by Connecticut, to the southwest by New Jersey and Pennsylvania, also to the south-east, in correspondence of Long Island has a maritime border with Rhode Island.
The Great Valley of the Appalachians (Great Appalachian Valley) occupies the eastern part of the state, while the western part is characterized by the valley of the Hudson river and Lake Champlain, to the west of this area are located – to the north – the rugged Adirondack Mountains (here it is also the highest peak of the state, Mount Marcy (1,629 meters)), and – to the south – the Catskill Mountains.
Among the most important rivers are the Hudson River, which crosses the state for its whole course, while a part of the Canadian border is marked by the St. Lawrence River. Another river that marks the border with Canada is the Niagara River that form the famous waterfalls. As for lakes, Lake Champlain is located in the north-east side of the state along the border with Vermont, the southern shores of Lake Ontario and the southeastern shores of Lake Erie are also part of the state of New York.
Today’s state of New York, in the seventeenth century, was the center of the Dutch colony of Nieuw Nederland, who occupied along the coast the territories from Delaware to Connecticut, and in the interior throughout the valley of the Hudson River up to Albany. The Dutch colony was occupied by the British in 1664 and with the Treaty of Breda was exchanged with the colony of Suriname. In 1673 the Dutch reoccupied their old possessions and kept them until November 1674, when New York was re-assigned to the British.
- Area: 141.299 sq. km. (27th largest state of the United States of America)
- Population: 19.500.000 (data 2008) (Whites 67.9%, Blacks 15.9%, Asian 5.5%, Amerindian 0.4%. Hispanics (classified into different racial types) are 15.1%. data 2000).
- State Capital: Albany.
- Languages: The official language is English (spoken as a first language by 71,8% of the population). Spanish is spoken as a first language by 14.0% of the population. Chinese is spoken as a first language by 1.66%, Russian is spoken as a first language by 1.33%, Italian is spoken as a first language by 1.27%. (Data 2005).
- Religion: Christian 74% (Roman Catholic (39%), Evangelical (11%), Protestant (21%), Eastern Orthodox (1%)), Jehovah’s Witnesses (1%), Muslim (1%), Jewish (6%), Buddhist (1%), Hindu (1%).
- Time zone: (UTC-5; SummerUTC-4).
This post is also available in: German