Colorado (The Centennial State) is in the Rocky Mountains area in the central-western United States, the state capital is the city of Denver. The state has rectangular shape, bordered to the north by Wyoming, to the north-east by Nebraska, to the east by the Kansas, to the south-east by Oklahoma, to the south by New Mexico, to the south-west by Arizona and to the west by Utah.
The US state of Colorado is characterized by the presence of the mountain range of the Rocky Mountains, crossing across the state, exceeding in many places 4,000 meters high. In the state of Colorado is the highest mountain of the Rocky Mountains, the Mount Elbert (4,401 meters).
To the west, beyond the mountains, is the Colorado Plateau, the river that gives its name to the state rises in these mountains and descends the plateau starting to excavate the canyon that in Utah and Arizona became one of the natural wonders of the planet Earth. In the northeast of the state extend the Great Plains, an impressive expanse of undulating land suitable for grazing.
About half of the state of Colorado is made up of flat plateaus, these plateaus rise all between 1,000 and 2,000 meters above sea level, in these areas cattle breeding and crops are highly developed.
The territory of Colorado was explored by the Spanish in the eighteenth century, to whom nominally belonged until 1821, year of the Mexican independence. In 1848, at the end of the Mexican-American War, Mexico also had to give the Colorado to the United States.
- Area: 269.837 sq. km. (8° largest state of the United States of America)
- Population: 4.950.000 (2008) (Whites 82.8%, Blacks 3.8%; Asian 2.2%, Amerindians 1.0%. Hispanics (classified into different racial types) are the 17.1%. Data 2000).
- State Capital: Denver.
- Language: The official language is English (spoken as a first language by 83,6% of the population). Spanish is spoken as a first language by 12,2% of the population (Data 2005).
- Religion: Christian 67% (Roman Catholic (19%), Evangelical (23%), Protestant (21%), Mormon (2%), Orthodox (1%)), Jewish (2%), Buddhist (1%).
- Time: UTC-7; Summer UTC-6.
This post is also available in: German