Home / North America / United States / United States power plugs and sockets, telephones

United States power plugs and sockets, telephones

This post is also available in: Deutsch

This page contains useful information to know before leaving for a trip to the United States. What are the power plugs and sockets used in the United States. The necessary travel documents are indicated. What kind of mobile phones work in the United States. What medical insurances are needed to travel to the United States. And many other useful things.


Documents: If you want to go on a tourist trip to the United States you must have a valid passport. The passport must have a deadline following that of the return to your country.

The documents recognized by the United States are:

• The electronic passport containing the biographical and biometric data of the holder (ie the one equipped with a microprocessor).

Minors and children are admitted only if they have an individual passport.

To enter the United States without a Visa (Visa Waiver Program) it is mandatory to obtain an ESTA authorization (Electronic System for Travel Authorization). This authorization must be obtained before departure for the United States. In fact, it can be requested online by connecting to the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) site.

To enter the United States without a visa, the following parameters must be respected:

  • Being a citizen of a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program.
  • Be in possession of a return ticket or onward ticket outside the United States.
  • Stay in the United States for less than 90 days.
  • Travel for tourism or business.
  • From 2016 it is also necessary not to have made trips to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen starting from March 1, 2011. If instead you have visited one of these countries after March 1, 2011 you must apply for an American Visa to the American embassy / consulate.

In the absence of any of the aforementioned requirements, it is necessary to apply for an American Visa at the American Embassy / Consulate.

For documents needed to travel to the United States, we always recommend checking the country’s official website.


Healthcare: American health services are among the best in the world. But for citizens of other countries they are paid. So it is practically mandatory to take out medical insurance that covers all the costs incurred.

In the United States, medical services are very expensive. For example, a simple appendicitis operation costs an average of $ 25,000. To this figure must be added the costs of the days of hospitalization. Continuing with the examples. X-rays cost $ 800. Transfers from the accident site to the hospital can cost up to $ 1,000, for a dental emergency, a simple extraction, you can also pay $ 2,400.

Because of these costs, it is practically mandatory for those traveling to the United States to take out insurance that covers at least a maximum of 50,000 / 100,000 dollars or more. With an investment of a few tens of euros or at most with a few hundred euros of health and travel insurance we make our holidays more peaceful in the event of an accident or problems.

Vaccinations: No vaccinations are required.


Telephones: The United States international dialing code is 001.

Cell Phones: Dual Band cell phones (900 and 1800 MHz) do not work in the United States. To phone with your cell phone in the United States it must be Tri-Band type. That is, your mobile phone also has 1900 MHz frequency reception.

Mobile operators: The main mobile operators in the United States are Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile USA.

Internet: The internet is highly developed and ensures an excellent communication system. Most hotels have paid or free Internet connections. In addition, there are numerous Internet cafés in every city in the country.


Electricity: The electrical current in the United States is 120 Volts 60 Hz.

Electrical outlets: Type A and B power plugs and sockets are used in the United States. Type A power plugs and sockets do not have earth but only two parallel flat plugs. While those of type B have two parallel flat plugs and a round plug for the earth. For European electrical appliances, a standard lamella-type adapter is required.

Electrical Socket Type A
Electrical Socket Type A
power plugs and sockets. Electrical Socket Type B
power plugs and sockets Type B


Currency: US dollar (USD).

Banks: The Euro is easily exchangeable. Both in the banks of the main cities and in most hotels. Credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Citibank, Diners Club) are accepted in almost all commercial establishments. Banks are open Monday to Friday from 10 to 15 and Thursday or Friday until 18.

The climate of the United States.



This post is also available in: Deutsch

Booking.com Search FlightsImage

Check Also

Glacier National Park: lakes, mountains and glaciers

This post is also available in: DeutschGlacier National Park, one of the ...