The Fiji Islands (Republic of Fiji, Matanitu Ko Viti) are an archpelago located in the southern Pacific Ocean, between 16 ° and 20 ° 30 ‘south latitude, and 177 ° east longitude and 177 ° 30’ west longitude east of the Vanuatu islands, west of Tonga and south of the Tuvalu islands and Wallis and Futuna.
The archipelago is made up of over 300 islands, mainly of volcanic origin, the two largest islands, which alone represent over 87% of the country’s surface, are Viti Levu (10,497 sq km) and Vanua Levu (5,534 sq km), others important islands are Taveuni (652 sq km), Kandavu (321 sq km), Koro and Rotuma.
ARCHIPELAGOS OF TROPICAL ISLANDS
There are numerous archipelagos such as those of the Yasawa islands, Mamanuca, Lau, or Moala. The capital and main city of the country is Suva on the island of Viti Levu. The highest mountain in Fiji is Mount Tomaniivi, on the island of Viti Levu, which reaches a height of 1,324 meters. There are numerous volcanoes such as Mount Uluigalau, which with 1,241 meters is the second mountain of the archipelago, and the Des Vœux Peak, 1,195 meters high, both on the island of Taveuni.
The main economic resources for the inhabitants of Fiji are those coming from agriculture, based largely on the production of sugar cane, bananas, coconuts, rice, cassava and sweet potatoes are then produced. Other resources are fishing, timber and the extraction of gold, manganese and silver.
Tourism is increasingly important, thanks to the climate and the scenic beauty of the archipelago, and to the presence of an important international airport in Nadi.
- Area: 18 272 sqkm. (Arable 16%, Pastures 9%, Forests and Woodlands 65%, Uncultivated and Unproductive 10%)
- Population: 853 400 (2006 data) (Fijians 54.3%, Indians 38.1%, Europeans 1.2%).
- State Capital: Suva (Viti Levu island).
- Languages: English, Fijian and Hindi.
- Religion: Christian 58% (Methodist 36.2%, Roman Catholic 8.9%, Pentecostal 4%, Adventist 2.9%), Hindu 33.7%, Muslim 7%.
- Currency: Fijian Dollar (FJD).
- Time: +12 hours compared to London (UK) (+11 hours when London (UK) has daylight saving time). UTC +12 hours.