Home / Europe / United Kingdom / Northern Ireland attractions: what to see in Ireland

Northern Ireland attractions: what to see in Ireland

This post is also available in: Deutsch

Northern Ireland, together with Wales, Scotland and England, forms the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland is located in the northeastern section of the island of Ireland. This part of the island represents only 20% of the total territory of Ireland, the other 80% is part of the Republic of Ireland or Eire. Northern Ireland is generally visited by tourists as a completion of a larger circuit that encompasses the whole island of Ireland. But Northern Ireland has several tourist attractions that would be worth a trip on their own.

NOT ONLY GIANT’S CAUSEWAY

The main of the tourist attractions in Northern Ireland is Giant’s Causeway. A geological formation located on the north-east coast of the island, composed of thousands of hexagonal basalt columns, which UNESCO has included among the natural heritage of humanity. Very beautiful and spectacular is also the entire coast around the Giant’s Causeway. In fact, this stretch of coast in addition to the beautiful basalt columns has a truly impressive high and rocky coast.

Northern Ireland’s largest city, Belfast, is a must for anyone visiting the region. In its vicinity, the Norman castle of Carrickfergus Castle dating from the twelfth century located along the north coast of Belfast Lough, the inlet where Belfast stands. For those interested in prehistory near Belfast there is the Giant’s Ring with a megalithic tomb in the center. This is the most interesting of Northern Ireland’s prehistoric attractions.

The historic city of Londonderry (Derry) with its intact 17th-century wall circuit that spans 1.5km around the historic center is among the most beautiful towns in Ulster. In Lough Erne, in the county of Fermanagh in the western part of the country, there are the suggestive ruins of the monastery of Devenish Island dating back to the Middle Ages and the nearby 16th century Enniskillen Castle. Among the natural beauties in the south-eastern part, the Morne Mountains area is of great importance for its landscapes and for the flora and fauna it hosts.

This post is also available in: Deutsch

Booking.com Search FlightsImage