Nevada (Silver State) is located in the western side of the United States, the most important and famous city of the state is Las Vegas, the center of gambling and entertainment, another important city is Reno, while the state capital is Carson City. Nevada is bordered to the west and south-west by California, to the north by Oregon and Idaho, to the east by Utah, and to the south-east by Arizona.
Almost the entire territory of the state of Nevada consists of desert or semi-desert territory. Most of the state is located on the Great Basin, a vast and arid plateau. The aridity of the territory of the state is caused by the presence, along the border with California, of the Sierra Nevada mountains that block the flow of moist air from the Pacific Ocean.
Along the border with California is also the highest mountain in the state, the Boundary Peak (4,005 meters).
The northern part of the country is characterized by the presence of the Great Basin Desert, a high-altitude desert, located between 1,200 and 3,500 meters high. In the southern section of Nevada it is instead the Mojave Desert, located between 1,000 and 2,000 meters high.
The area of Nevada was explored by the Spanish in the sixteenth century and was nominally in their possession until Mexican independence (1821). In 1848, Mexico, defeated in war by the United States, had to cede to the United States also the territory of Nevada.
- Area: 286,367 sq. km. (7th largest state of the United States of America)
- Population: 2,600,000 (data 2008) (Whites 75.2%, Blacks 6.8%; Asian 4.5%, Amerindian 1.3%. Hispanics (classified into different racial types) are 19.7%. Data 2000).
- State Capital: Carson City.
- Languages: The official language is English (spoken as a first language by 74,0% of the population). Spanish is spoken as a first language by 18,5% of the population. The Filipino (Tagalog) by 2.0%. Data 2005).
- Religion: Christian 67% (Roman Catholic (27%), Evangelical (13%), Protestant (13%), Mormon (11%), Orthodox (2%)), Jewish (1%), Muslim (2%), Hindu (1%).
- Time zone: (UTC-8; Summer UTC-7; West Wendover (northeastern area) UTC-7; Summer UTC-6).
This post is also available in: German