Sölden is a small town of the Ötztal Valley in Tyrol in Austria, thanks to winter sports has become the third tourist destination in Austria after Vienna and Salzburg. Sölden is a foreground ski center of the Austrian Tyrol, located in the Ötztal Valley only 65 km from Innsbruck.
The main village, Sölden, is located at a height of 1,368 meters, while the small village of Hochsölden is located at a height of 2,090 meters. Sölden is surrounded by the peaks of the Ötztal Alps, in the vicinity of this important Austrian ski resort is the second highest mountain in Austria, the Wildspitze (3,768 meters). In nearby Langenfeld is the Aqua Dome, the only spa in the Austrian Tyrol.
WINTER SPORTS IN SÖLDEN
The Sölden ski area, which includes the two glaciers of Rettenbachferner and Tiefenbachferner has 39 lifts and 146 km of ski slopes. The main part of the ski area is located at a height of over 2,000 meters, reaching a maximum altitude of 3,250 meters. The village of Sölden also has three ski cross-country skiing (16 km), a toboggan run, an ice rink and two lighted amusement parks (Tiefenbach / Giggijoch). The mountain village of Hochsölden, consists of several hotels, a restaurant, two sports shops, some residential buildings and its ski school.
Other locations in the municipality of Sölden that are equipped for winter sports are Obergurgl / Hochgurgl and Vent. Obergurgl is a small ski resort situated at 1,930 meters above sea level along the way for the Timmelsjoch Pass (2,509 meters) that connects the Passeiertal to the Ötztal. Hochgurgl is instead a hotel complex situated at 2,150 meters, always on the road for the Timmelsjoch Pass. Vent is a mountain village located at 1,895 meters above sea level at the end of the Venter Tal.
– Altitude: 1,350 meters (Sölden) – 3,250 meters
– Lifts: 36
– Ski slopes: 146 km (62 km red, 51 km blue, 27 km black, 6 km moving walkways). Cross-country skiing: 16 km
– Illuminated Ice skating rink
– Altitude: 1,800 meters – 3,080 meters
– Lifts: 23
– Ski slopes: 110 km (55 km red, 35 km blue, 20 km black, moving walkways). Cross-country skiing trails: 36 km
– Illuminated Ice skating rink
– Altitude: 1,900 meters – 2,680 meters
– Lifts: 4
– Ski slopes: 15 km (15 km red, 5 km blue). Cross-country skiing trail: 4 km
WALKING, HIKING, BIKING AND MOUNTAINBIKE TRAILS IN SÖLDEN
In Sölden area there are over 150 marked trails, among them there are easy trails (blue), well marked, suitable for all especially families, do not require special equipment, and are not challenging slopes. The red trails are intermediate difficulty, sometimes steep, narrow and require good physical fitness and a decent outfit. The blacks trails are the most hard and difficult and can be dangerous in bad weather. Sölden also has about 70 routes for bicycles and mountain bikes, which are also divided according to the degree of difficulty.
– Routes: 152 (of which 60 easy (blue), 78 intermediate (red), 14 difficult (blacks)
– Routes for cycling / mountain biking: 70 (including 11 easy, 31 medium difficulty, and 28 difficult)
– Routes for mountain biking: 41
– The highest paved road in Europe, the Ötztal Gletscherstraße, which reaches 2,830 meters, allowing access to Rettenbach and Tiefenbachferner glaciers in the Ötztal Alps.
ACCOMMODATION IN SÖLDEN
Sölden has a number of alternatives for the stay, ranging from classic Tyrolean hotel, hotels with sauna and massage, to small bed and breakfasts, holiday homes and up to the apartments, of every size and shape. Certainly you will find the right accommodation for your skiing holiday or for your weekend.
HOW TO GET TO SÖLDEN
Car: Sölden is located just 65 km south-west of Innsbruck, in the Ötztal, a side valley of the Inn River, and is easily accessible from Italy, Germany and Switzerland, is in fact Sölden is just 120 km from the Brenner border. To reach via motorway Sölden you need to go from Innsbruck, before crossing the A12 and then the A13, then you leave the motorway at exit Ötztal and you pick up the Ötztal bundesstrasse (State Road 186) via Oetz, Umhausen and Langenfeld until you reach Sölden.
ACCOMMODATIONS, APARTMENTS, B&B AND HOTELS
This post is also available in: German