Serbia (Republika Srbija) is a republic in the central part of the Balkan Peninsula, which emerged from the break up of Yugoslavia. The Serbian State is also formed by the administrative unit of Vojvodina. The Kosovo-Albanian majority region declarted its independence from Serbia in 2008. The country is bordered by Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia. The capital is Belgrade.
The territory of Serbia extends into the central Balkans and is formed to the north by the vast and fertile alluvial plain of the Danube, which includes the northern portion of Serbia called Vojvodina, which is rich in small lakes and is crossed by the Morava river and the Danube with its tributaries Sava and Tisa.
The central-southern area of the country is mainly mountainous with peaks exceeding 2,000 metres in the southern sector. The highest mountain in Serbia is the Đeravica with 2,656 m in the Dinaric Alps on the border with Albania. The western area of Šumadija) is dominated by hills and some relief with an altitude between 1.000 and 1.500 m above sea level.
The economy of Serbia is still mainly focussing on growing agricultural products like cereals, fruits, tobacco and sugar beet besides animal husbandry for cattle and pigs. There are deposits of petroleum, natural gas and ores. Manufacturing is centred on mechanical, metallurgical, chemical, textile and food processing industries.
English text correction by Dietrich Köster.
- Area: 88,361 sq km: Serbia 77,474 sq km; Kosovo 10,887 sq km
- Population: 10,000,000: In Serbia 7,500,000: Serbs 83%, Hungarians 4% In Kosovo 2,500,000: Albanians 88%, Serbs 6%
- State Capital: Beograd/Belgrade
- Official Language: Serbian. In Vojvodina Hungarian, Slovak, Romanian, Croatian and Rusyn are recognized as regional languages. Official Language in Kosovo: Albanian
- Religion: Serbia: Orthodox Christians 84%, Catholics 6%, Muslims 5%, Protestants 2%. Kosovo: Muslim 90%, Catholics 5%, Orthodox Christians 5%.
- Currency: Serbian Dinar (RSD), Kosovo: Euro (EUR)
- Time Zone: UTC+1, Summer Daylight Saving Time UTC+2.