Antigua and Barbuda is a constitutional monarchy associated with the British Commonwealth. The state is made up of three islands located between Guadeloupe, Montserrat and Saint Kitts, in the northern group of the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles. The state of Antigua and Barbuda is made up of the inhabited islands of Antigua (280 sq km) and Barbuda (160.5 sq km) and the uninhabited island of Redonda (1.5 sq km) as well as other small islands and rocks.
ISLANDS WITH CARIBBEAN SEA AND BEAUTIFUL BEACHES
The island of Antigua, rich in bays and beaches, is an island of volcanic origin, mainly flat but with modest hills in its south-western part, which reach 402 meters with the Boggy Peak. Barbuda is also a shallow island (62 meters) but of coral origin. While Redonda (1.5 sq km) is a small island of volcanic origin that rises up to 296 meters in height.
The population of the islands is overwhelmingly African in origin, few are mulattoes and even fewer Europeans. The population speaks a Creole language based on English, but the official language is standard English. The religion of most of the inhabitants of the two islands is Protestant Christian, Catholics are a minority.
The state capital is Saint John’s. This town is a port located in a large inlet along the northwestern coast of the island of Antigua. The economy of the two islands is mainly based on tourism. Agriculture is also quite developed. Cotton, bananas, vegetables and sugar cane are grown there. Other important economic activities are fishing (lobsters are mainly fished) and financial activities.
The climate of Antigua and Barbuda.
- Area: 442 sqkm. (Arable 18%, Pastures 9%, Forests and Woodlands 11%, Uncultivated and Unproductive 62%)
- Population: 96,000 (2019 data) (Africans 93%, Mulattos (descendants of European and African) 5%, Europeans 2%).
- State Capital: Saint John’s.
- Language: Official language is English. Used a English-Creole.
- Religion: The population is overwhelmingly Protestant 90%; a minority is Roman Catholic 10%.
- Currency: East Caribbean dollar (XCD)
- Time: UTC -4 hours.
ACCOMMODATIONS, APARTMENTS, B&B AND HOTELS
This post is also available in: German