The island of Jamaica, is located in the Caribbean Sea, south of Cuba and west of Hispaniola (Haiti), it’s an independent state associated with the British Commonwealth, it has for capital Kingston that lies along the south-eastern coast.
Jamaica (10,991 sq km) is the third largest island of the Greater Antilles, island of mountainous nature, a large plateau occupies much of the island, is characterized by mountainous formations of limestone, including the chain of the Blue Mountains, where is Blue Mountain Peak (2,256 m), the island’s highest mountain.
The island has a massive and compact appearance, the plateau that forms much of the island has an average altitude of around 500 meters. Along the southern coast of Jamaica the coasts are low and sandy with small bays and lagoons and coral islands such as Pedros Cays. The northern coast of Jamaica is rather high, rocky and overlooks a deep sea.
The economy of Jamaica is based on agriculture (sugar cane, tobacco, coffee, citrus, banana, coconut palm, cocoa, and various spices, including ginger and Jamaica pepper), important are mining and manufacturing, the island is among the world’s leading producers of bauxite, tourism is very developed.
- Area: 10,991 sqkm. (Arable 20%, Pastures 23%, Forests and Woodlands 17%, Uncultivated and Unproductive 40%)
- Population: 2,650,000 (2005 data) (Africans 90%, Mulattos (descendants of European and African) 7%, Asian 2%, Europeans 0,2%).
- State Capital: Kingston.
- Language: Official language is English.
- Religion: Protestant 60% (Church of God 21%, Adventist 9%, Baptist 9%, Pentecostal 8%, Anglican 5%, Methodist 3%, United Church 3%), Rastafari 35%, Catholic 4%.
- Currency: Jamaican Dollar (JMD)
- Time: UTC -5 hours.
This post is also available in: German