Guyana (Co-operative Republic of Guyana) is a semipresidential republic located just north of the equator in the north-eastern part of South America. It is washed in the north-east by the Atlantic Ocean and it borders to the west with Venezuela and Brazil, to the south with Brazil and to the east with Suriname.
Georgetown, the capital, is located at the mouth of the Demerara river and is the main port and the only real city of the country. The territory has a flat and often low marshland area along the coast. Here lie the capital and most towns.
The interior of the country consists of low highlands with 200 metres above sea level, dense forests and savannah.
Towards the west and south are some mountains of tabular form structure. Along the border with Venezuela and Brazil you find the Serra Pacaraima, where the maximum height of the country, is reached by Mount Roraima with 2,810 metres. To the south towards the border with Brazil is the Serra Acaraí, which exceeds 1,000 meters. The main rivers of Guyana are the Essequibo, Demerara, Courantyne and Berbice.
The country is rich in mineral resources: Extraction of bauxite – Guyana being one of the leading world producers – , gold, diamonds, asbestos and manganese. Among the main agricultural products of the country are rice, sugar cane, coffee, cocoa, bananas, citrus fruits, coconuts, maize, cassava. Substantial wealth consists of the forest, which is very rich in hardwood timber. the breeding of pigs, sheep, goats and poultry is modest and the same regards fishing for shrimps.
The industry is limited to the processing of agricultural products like sugar mills, distilleries, breweries and tobacco manufacturing. The main tourist attraction of the country are the Kaieteur Falls with a drop height of 226 meters along the Potaro River. It is one of the most spectacular waterfalls of the world.
English text correction by Dietrich Köster.
- Area: 214,970 sq km: arable land 2,3%, pastures 5,7%, forests and bushland 76,7%, uncultivated and unproductive land 15,3%
- Population: 750.000 (as of 2007): Asian Indians 43%, Africans 30%, Mestizos (descendants of Europeans and Amerindians) and Mulattos (descendants of Africans and Europeans) 17%, Amerindians 9%, Chinese and Europeans.
- State Capital: Georgetown.
- Official Language: The official language is English. English Creole, Hindi, Urdu, Akawaio, Wai-Wai, Arawak and Macushi are also spoken.
- Religion: Christians 48%: Protestants 36% and Catholics 12%; Hindus 29%, Muslims 9%, Bahá’í 7%.
- Currency: Guyana Dollar (GYD).
- Time Zone: UTC-4 hours
This post is also available in: German