Belize is a constitutional monarchy associated with the British Commonwealth. In fact, in past centuries this region of Central America was the former British colony of British Honduras. The country is located in Central America and borders Mexico to the north, Guatemala to the west and south and faces the Caribbean Sea to the east. The most important city is Belize City, which is an important port and commercial center. But the state capital is Belmopan located in the interior of the country.
A FLAT COUNTRY RICH IN FORESTS
The territory of the country is largely flat and very rich above all in forests. About 60% of the territory is made up of forests. The coast is marshy, bordered with lagoons and faced by coral islands (Turneffe islands, Ambergris Cay) and by a long coral reef. Only to the south rises a mountain range, the Maya mountains, which with Mount Doyle’s Delight (1,124 meters) reach the maximum height of the country. The main rivers are Belize river, Hondo river which marks the border with Mexico, and Sarstoon river which marks the border with Guatemala.
AN AGRICULTURAL ECONOMY
Among the most important economic resources are agriculture. The country mainly cultivates cereals, bananas, citrus fruits, sugar cane, cocoa, rice, beans and corn. Forestry is also a very important sector of the economy. Belize produces fine timber, including cedar, mahogany, pine, rosewood. Another typical product of the country is chicle, that is latex made from the sapodilla tree. Fishing, on the other hand, is of secondary importance. The industrial sector is limited to the processing of agricultural and forestry products, and to the textile sector.
The climate of Belize.
- Area: 22,965 sqkm. (Arable 2,4%, Pastures 2,1%, Forests and Woodlands 91,5%, Uncultivated and Unproductive 4%)
- Population: 408,000 (2019 data) (Mestizos (descendants of European and Amerindians) 49%, Creoles (Africans and Mulattos (descendants of European and African)) 25%, Maya 10%, Europeans 8%, Garifuna (descendants of Amerindian and African) 6%, Asian 2%).
- State Capital: Belmopan.
- Language: Official language is English. Spoken also Spanish, Garifuna, Maya and English-Creole.
- Religion: Christian 77% (Roman Catholic 50%, Protestant 27% (Pentecostal 7%, Anglican 5%, Seventh-day Adventist 5%, Mennonite 4%, Methodist 3.5%, Jehovah’s Witnesses 1.5%), Buddhism 1%.
- Currency: Belize Dollar (BZD)
- Time: UTC -6 hours.
This post is also available in: German