The island of Dominica (Commonwealth of Dominica) is a parliamentary republic associated with the British Commonwealth, located in the Lesser Antilles. The island is located between Guadeloupe and Martinique. The capital and main port is the small town of Roseau which is located along the southwestern coast. The island of Dominica, with an area of 751 sq km, is the largest and most northerly of the Windward Islands in the Lesser Antilles.
A MOUNTAIN ISLAND OF VOLCANIC ORIGIN
Dominica is a mountainous island of volcanic origin, largely covered by lush rain forests, the highest mountain being Morne Diablotin (1,447 meters). The island of Dominica has a wonderful national park, the Morne Trois Pitons National Park, which UNESCO included in 1997 as a world heritage site.
The volcanic origin of the island is evident for the presence of a boiling water lake, the Boiling Lake. This lake has a diameter of about 60 meters, and is the second largest lake in the world of this type. Its waters have a temperature that varies between 80 ° C and 90 ° C. Further evidence of the volcanic nature of the island is also the Valley of Desolation, an area rich in sulphurous hot springs.
The economy of the island is based on agriculture and fishing. Bananas, citrus fruits (lemons, grapefruits), tropical fruit, coffee, cocoa, sugar cane, coconut palms and cassava are grown there. Rich is the forest heritage. The industry is dedicated to the transformation of agricultural products, fruit juices, alcoholic drinks (rum), soap and essential oils are produced. Fair importance is given by tourism.
The climate of Dominica.
- Area: 751 sqkm. (Arable 22%, Pastures 3%, Forests and Woodlands 67%, Uncultivated and Unproductive 8%)
- Population: 71,000 (2019 data) (Africans 90%, Mulattos (descendants of European and African) 8%, Amerindians 2%).
- State Capital: Roseau.
- Language: Official language is English. Spoken also a French-Creole.
- Religion: Christian 95% (Catholic 80%, Protestant 15% (Methodist 5%, Pentecostal 3%, Seventh-day Adventist 3%, Baptist 2%, other Protestants 2%)).
- Currency: East Caribbean Dollar (XCD)
- Time: UTC -4 hours.
This post is also available in: German