Brunei (Negara Brunei Darussalam) is a small sultanate which is located along the coast of the northern part of Borneo, the territory of the state is made up of two separate sections divided by a strip of territory belonging to the Sarawak (Malaysia). The capital of the sultanate is the city of Bandar Seri Begawan.
The country is washed to the north from the South China Sea and bordered to the east, west and south with Malaysia (Sarawak). Rich in rainforests, the territory of the country is characterized by a coastal plain, often covered by extensive wetlands, and an internal hilly region. The country’s highest mountain is Mount Bukit Pagon (1,850 meters). The rivers, the longest of which is the Belait, flow north to flow into the South China Sea.
A VERY RICH COUNTRY
Thanks to its marine oil fields, Brunei is one of the richest countries in Southeast Asia. In addition to oil, natural gas is also extracted. Agriculture produces bananas, rice, sugar cane, rubber. Important are forestry (timber), breeding (buffalo, pigs, goats, birds) and fishing. The industry in the country is aimed at the petrochemical, food, wood and rubber sectors.
Brunei is accessible by air, sea and land. Brunei International Airport is the main entry point into the country for tourists. The airport is connected to major cities in Asia.
The official page of the Government of Brunei.
- Area: 5,765 sqkm. (Arable 1%, Pastures 1%, Forests and Woodlands 78%, Uncultivated and Unproductive 20%)
- Population: 390,000 (2007 data) (Malaysian 67%, Chinese 15%, indigenous (Dayak etc..) 6%, Indians)
- State Capital: Bandar Seri Begawan.
- Languages: Official language is Malay. Spoken also English and Chinese.
- Religion: Muslim 67%, Buddhist 10%, Christian 8%.
- Curency: Brunei Dollar (BND)
- Time: UTC +8 hours.
ACCOMMODATIONS, APARTMENTS, B&B AND HOTELS
This post is also available in: German